Monday 1 January 2018

Wild Times at the Wooden House (NOT)


Walk Fast or Freeze


I hate to bang on about the weather but it seems this massive swath of Arctic air (that is reaching as far south as Oklahoma!) has us in its hold and is just not letting go.  -27 C straight temperature out there this morning.  Even the dogs are doing their business super quick to get back inside.
Walking just once a day and the balaclava is perfect as my rosacea is staying quiet and this kind of cold would normally set it off.

Here is Murphy at the window by my stitching chair letting me know she wants in -


And when I'm not fast enough to her liking....I tell her I don't move as fast as I used to!


Yummy...


I promised I would let you know how the dessert for a pineapple fluff kind of thing worked out.  I found just the recipe at Amanda's Cookin' called Pineapple Dream Dessert.  I used real cream and fresh pineapple and added cherries.
 It was very tasty but I'd popped it in the fridge to firm up the base of graham cracker crumbs and didn't let it warm up enough so it was hard to cut into at serving time. That ever happen to you?  These bases can be too crumbly or in my case, too set it seems. Note to self to not to do that again. Yes, it disappeared fast and another recipe noted to use again!



Christmas baking this year included this recipe from Cathy at the Lemon Tree Dwelling site... Cranberry Pumpkin Bread and it is delicious! I used a little less sugar and wished I'd added more of the fresh cranberries.  I will be making this again!  Definitely a  wonderful Thanksgiving or Christmas kind of loaf to have on hand and adding the cream cheese frosting makes it more of a cake like dessert.



A flimsy...

I had a productive indoor week finishing my Scandinavian Christmas hanging.  I used every bit of the fabric Anne sent me. I gave up on the 3 inch churn dash blocks after several more failed attempts and then enjoyed improvising a couple of other ideas.  I fussy cut a couple of Santas, a house and some chickens from the Lynette Anderson fabric and used those as tiny blocks.  The blocks actually lined up more or less properly, much to my surprise.  I guess my accuracy is improving.



I am hoping to hand quilt around the figures and will begin this today. And I've decided that will be my goal for this month.  My backing fabric is in the dryer as I write this.


Our New Year's Eve...

Local New Year's Eve events got cancelled due to the cold and I missed seeing the kids enjoying fireworks.  Hubby has a cough which we are keeping an eye on so we did our usual.  I made a mango curry which we ate while watching our evening television, in this case another episode of  The Crown.  Yes, wild times!!

A very happy new year is wished sincerely to each and every one of you from me!

Happy today to link up with the following wonderful sites: OMG at Elm Street Quilts,  Busy Hands QuiltsSew Can SheQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSew Fresh Quilts,  The Needle and Thread Network, and What a Hoot Quilts.




No comments :