Monday 22 August 2016

The Upside of a Little Deafness

Not long after we moved in I was awakened at 5:45 am with the sound of loud hammering.  I got out of bed and peered out the window a little cautiously because it sounded like someone was hammering right on the side of the house which made absolutely no sense, but..

  I realized the sound was coming from the Treehouse (yes, the property came with a real Treehouse); was someone in it hammering?? I pulled on a robe and ventured outside.  Here is what I saw.

Can you spy him?  Mr. Pileated Woodpecker, I mean.




What a racket he was making and very unmindful of me beneath the tree.  I ran back in the house and came back with the camera and he was still hammering like crazy, pausing from time to time to dip his beak and that incredibly long tongue of his far inside the recesses he was making.  

No returning to sleep for me. And by the way, the dogs gave no heed to the hammering at all which was probably an indication that they knew there was no danger.

 Meanwhile Hubby slept right through it.

Sometimes being a bit deaf is a blessing!

No comments :