Monday 23 May 2016

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt...Last Look and Other Things


Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt, finished size 60 x 90, eight blocks across and 12 blocks down. 
I laid it on my bed and it was about three quarters of our king sized bed.  The photo I took in the bedroom was too dull to show so I had to search about for a better spot to display it.  Sorry for the distractions of my dining room in this picture.  This was a very enjoyable project and certainly one of my most memorable.  Being a member of the 5000 plus Facebook group was very interesting and I learned a lot from all the postings. I have a special love for the blocks I sewed by hand using EPP.  Piecing these blocks took me through the winter; I started it September, 2016 and finished my version May, 2016.  And I have a short stack of leftover blocks; perhaps I'll make a table runner with them.  
This now joins my little pile of flimsies for the real quilting at a later date.  




My fabric on hand was greatly depleted by this quilt and especially anything with prints reminiscent of the 30's.  I was going to keep track of how many spools of thread I used.  When I remembered this I was down five spools.  



I wrote a post about the Hawthorn grove we have on this property.  I mentioned how in the old days Hawthorn trees provided thorns long and slender enough they could be used as sewing needles.  With the leaves still just budding yesterday, the thorns were clearly outlined . They could definitely be used as needles. This is as close as I've come to them.  Ouch!


I finished The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins a couple of weeks back.  Someone reminded me to tell what I thought of it and I have to say it kept me reading to the end.  Amusing I guess is my final verdict; a good beach book.  It is being made into a movie starring Emily Blunt.  Here is the official trailer.


 I should mention the Farmer's Wife group is ongoing and new members are still welcomed.  It is meant to be a year long project so won't finish up till next September.  So still lots of time to make a bundle of blocks.

No comments :