Tuesday 3 November 2015

Eating Out the Freezer

Have you ever been in this situation?  Having to eat out your freezer.  That's what I am determined to do these days.  Nothing new to be bought that has to be frozen till I can see the bottom of our freezer.  It's crazy for two people to have a year's worth of food on hand, apocalypse worries or not, LOL.  I just did a survey and realized I have not one but two turkeys in it.  Now they take up a lot of room so maybe it is not as bad as I thought.  I honestly don't know how this happens.  Shopping specials I guess; being seduced by a good price on ground beef or chicken wings.  Anyway, there's going to be some good eating for the next while till I get this mountain turned into a mole hill.  ( And yes, I know I am fortunate to have such a problem as too much food on hand.)

Coping With Critters


Mice are back in our 'under sink' kitchen cabinet and we are using our humane trap to catch them.  This week there were two little tiny baby mice inside who looked like their fur was brand new.  Hubby has read about it and found out we are releasing them too close to our house so just now we drove them up the road and released them into a field.


I've read some people object to these traps as well as they would cause mice to be stressed.  However, I just can't have mice inside my cupboards and as Hubby told me when I first arrived, in the country, there will be mice.  So I will continue with this trap until they stop showing up which happens with the colder weather.

  A Movie Worth Seeing

We watched Saving Mr. Banks  last night, the back story of  Walt Disney and the making of Mary Poppins.  He tried for over 20 years to get the author, P.L. Travers, to let him make the movie version of her book. When she finally concedes and comes to Los Angeles to oversee the movie, the process is arduous and challenging.  In the midst we learn about P.L.'s upbringing with a wonderful but alcoholic father and how it is all still with her.  I couldn't help it...I cried for the young intelligent, impressionable girl this woman was and how her childhood affected her life.
 "Sorrow lies like a heartbeat behind everything I have written" she has said.
Emma Thompson is wonderful in the lead role and Tom Hanks makes a pretty good Walt. 



No comments :