Friday 9 October 2015

Bringing Sisterhood Into My Home



Sewing has been taking place on my first three blocks in the Farmer's Wife SAL. HALLELUJAH
 I am whipping my whip stitch into shape.  ha ha
This was a question mark for me as I wasn't sure I could really do this; it's been so long since I hand sewed paper pieced fabrics.  And eyes, hands, neck....nothing is quite working as well as it once did!
 I am not worried about how slow I am. It is slow sewing after all but so enjoyable.  As with all my needlework, it is the process that means so much to me.  




The backs of the first two blocks...I'll keep the papers in till the end.  I had to label each piece to be sure I kept them straight.  You know me....

Bonnie


Becky


Not perfect by any means, but when the papers come out and they are pressed I think they will be okay.  You'll have to believe me that they are not as wonky as they look.






This is Belle; don't worry about the edges not being fair.  I have fabric turned under that will be teased into shape to make the sides even.  I am happy about all the points meeting so well.

Springtime On The Farm

 Choosing the fabrics for these first blocks was difficult; like most quilters I do have a stash to choose from.  However, once I settled down, picked 10 favourites, got cutting and put these together, I realized I wanted to have a sort of theme for this quilt. I decided it should be "Springtime on the Farm", just about the most wonderful time of the year for us all especially here in Canada.

 And I've been following the crowd on the Facebook group which has been interesting.  The administration of this venture has published guidelines for the group which now tops the 4000 mark.  I found it interesting that one of the things they wrote was for people to be kind to one another regarding comments about each other's work.  I was surprised that we would need to be told such a thing.  Really who would post a negative comment about another person's efforts.

They also want people to follow their tutorials for the blocks and not send around links to other sites and of course, not use the group to advertise your own company, blog or wares.  I guess it would be tempting with this many sewists as a captive audience to want to share your blogging business with them. After all, there are so many people running serious businesses with wonderful, amazing stitching/sewing offerings and this would be a golden opportunity to spread your word.

You can join this group at any time during the year so here is a link if you think you'd be interested.

The Farmer's Wife SAL

The Farmer's Wife 1930's Sew-along: Learn to sew the 99 Blocks from Laurie Aaron Hird's book The Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt" with Angie Wilson of GnomeAngel.com, Fat Quarter Shop and From Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork Templates. Find out more here: http://gnomeangel.com/farmers-wife-1930s-sampler-quilt-sew-along/



The Farmer's Wife--Everybody's Bobbin'--Vintage Halloween Magazine Cover:

 The American magazine, The Farmer's Wife, in 1922 posed this question to their readers,
"If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?"
They received over 7000 letters and were surprised themselves by how overwhelmingly positive the responses were. Laurie Hird compiled 42 of the best letters in her first book, The Farmer's Wife 1920's Sampler Quilt.  These make wonderful reading, personal glimpses into women's lives at the time.  The 1930's book also includes letters from farm wives, these compiled from those written to the editors over the years. They as well offer a snapshot of history and tell the most interesting tales of 'making do', repurposing items, animal care and feeding the family. 

As Laurie states these quilting blocks, chosen and named with those farming women in mind, give you a tangible way to bring that sisterhood into your home. 

No comments :