Friday 17 July 2015

It's True What They Say

It's true what they say-

Practice makes perfect.

Though older, I am proving this one with my learning to free motion quilt.  The practice is  paying off.  I've read there is a magic number to this...10 as in 10 hours of practice to get good at something.  To become an Olympian it's 10 hours a day for 10 years.  I guess that's why there are so few of them and so many of the rest of us. 

Think big thoughts, but relish small pleasures.

This is an interesting one.  I believe it is enjoyment of small things that enables the big thought thinking. Recognizing the small things that are enjoyable whether it's sunshine, clean sheets, a cup of good coffee, Friday afternoons, etc. boosts our overall satisfaction with our lives. That in turn helps us tackle the big things that need doing or resolving or thinking about.

A day of worry is more exhausting than a week of work.

My ability to worry set in early in life.  Always a serious looking child, my behaviour was also cautious and I feel like I was ever mindful of dangers. With grown-up experiences, I've learned firsthand that worry has a weight to it.  It is true that it really can weigh you down...literally, besides wearing you out.  The saying "weight lifted off your shoulders" is also true just as they say.    

Common sense is not so common.

People are getting crazier.  Perhaps I shouldn't say that out loud and maybe that thought is a function of my age and background.  My references for when common sense seemed to be more common is outport Newfoundland...small villages made up of homogenous people who as a group were God fearing, hard-working and would give the shirt off their back to help others.  Grounded, salt of the earth types and not much variation to be found. It seems like the world has moved very, very far beyond those simpler times.
But it is not just me who believes common sense is getting rarer.  Hubby is right there with me in this belief.  Just about every day he reads me something from the papers that confirms our belief.  Wish it wasn't so.  Yes I do.
But really people have been thinking this thought for a very long time. Voltaire, sizing up the people around him in 1764, is credited with being the first to voice this sentiment out loud.  So there.

Health is better than wealth.

 I grew up with two sayings about this.

One:
I was feeling blue cause I had no shoes
Till, upon the street,
I met a man who had no feet.
Two:
It's bad to be poor but it's worse to be sore.

Wealth can't protect you from illness or certain diseases.  It can't save you when you do get one of the life threatening ones.  Money does not provide any guarantee that you will be saved from any of the ills that can afflict us all, mental or physical.

So cling to, value and cherish good health. 

Yes it's true what they say.


 

No comments :