Monday 20 April 2015

Roasted Vegetable Crostata

Sometimes recipes circle around from Pinterest to Facebook and then you open a magazine and there it is there too.  Every time I saw this one, I would think to myself I must try it.  Recently I did.
It is a bit fiddly to roast the vegetables before plopping them into the crust, but it does enhance the flavours.
Some recipes would have you using different roasting times for all the veggies, but I just put them all in the oven at once and it seemed to be okay.



I used bacon this time; some recipes omit meat and then this becomes a strictly vegetarian meal.
 In a skillet, fry out the bacon till crisp.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
Use whatever vegetables you have on hand.  I used carrot, zucchini, broccoli, onion, yellow pepper and tomatoes.
Toss them in a bowl with a little balsamic vinegar and enough olive oil to cover.  Spread foil wrap on your baking sheet (for easy clean up) sprinkle more oil over it and then spread out the vegetables.  Place in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile I made the pastry...yes, the same one I always make.  I divided the dough into two rounds so I could make two crostatas.

I let the vegetables cool and added the bacon.  I rolled the two rounds of dough each on a piece of parchment paper and divided my vegetables between the two.  For cheese, I had a triangle of Brie that needed using up so I poked bits of it around the vegetables.  I've seen just about every cheese used, mozzarella, goat cheese, gruyere, ricotta, parmasan.   I also tried to arrange a few cherry tomatoes on top because I thought they would look pretty. I used one beaten egg to brush over the pastry.



Because this is considered a country recipe, rustic is the word often used, you don't have to be careful with a fussy edge on the pastry; I just tried to overlap the edges enough to hold the vegetables.

Top oven to 400 degrees and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes till golden brown.


This actually tasted better than I expected and was surprisingly filling.

No comments :