Friday 13 February 2015

My Chia Berry Buns

Another extreme cold weather warning.  I'm not sure how they decide to pick one day over another.  Everyone is complaining about the bitingly cold temperatures we seem to have had a lot of since Christmas.  It made it a great day to keep the oven going.  I got some chicken drums ready for supper, hiked up the oven temperature and pulled out the recipe book.
 A great baking day...  I finally settled on making some chia berry muffins which is a variation of my recipe for Walnut Berry Buns ( I'm trying to keep up with the times...food trend wise, ha ha).




 Berry Buns


3/4 cup rolled oats                    1 cup flour
1/3 cup chia seeds                     1 tsp. salt
1 cup Greek yogurt                   1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup oil                                 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup applesauce                    1 cup mixed berries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg

Soak oats in yogurt.  Add chia seeds.
 Mix oil, applesauce, brown sugar and egg.  Add to the yogurt/oat mixture and blend well.
 Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
 I used chopped apricots, dried cranberries and chopped dates to make up the cup of berries.  Oh yes, I also had a few strawberries to top it off.
I mixed the berries into the flour, then combined with the yogurt.
Fill 12 muffin cups and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.

I wonder should I have made them in the smaller muffin pan to have them more two-bite sized.  The batter is not cakey so could be dense enough for smaller sized.
Anyway  hubby just ate two for lunch which means they are good.

No comments :