Thursday 29 January 2015

Something Lost, Something Found


I lost two cities, lovely ones.  And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.


from One Art by Elizabeth Bishop

I have been a colossal loser mostly for the fact that at one point in my life I lost everything I owned.  The above poem by Elizabeth Bishop was a small solace at the time.

But more mundanely...
I'm always struck by this fact- that whenever I am on the hunt for something, I find something else that I  had been missing.  I wonder what are the odds of that.  In my case, probably pretty good because I no longer own many 'things' and I lose them basically in  two rooms of the house.   This has happened so often that it has led to a sense of ease whenever I can't put my finger on something.  I know now that it will turn up some time in the future when I'm looking for another lost something or other.

WikiHow offers this article on How to Find Lost Objects....

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Things-You-Lost

Proving there is a method for accomplishing just about everything.
 Common sense really but as the joke goes, common sense is not so common anymore.

A few famous lost things besides ships, tribes, jewels, planes, manuscripts and so on are

Amelia Erhart's plane
Captain Kidd's treasure
The Ark of the Covenant

Among the famous found would be the Titanic which was lost in 1912 and found in 1985.
 Which brings us back to hope I guess.

No comments :