Tuesday 30 September 2014

My Blueberry Cake


Blueberry cakes are part of the traditional fare where I come from, Newfoundland.  Toward summer's end when blueberries became ripe, I would race to a nearby field and pick a container full.  That container could hold two cups of berries, exactly the amount I  knew Mom needed to make us a blueberry cake.  Her version was always yellowy cake on top of blueberries in the bottom of an eight inch square pan.  There was no icing on it, but sometimes she would give us a dollop of canned cream to go with it.  I have fond memories of the prettiness of the yellow of the cake against the deep blue of the berries, and the taste of those wild blueberries is now only a memory to me.  No blueberry I've ever bought ever tastes as good.  Anyway..I think every household had its own version of a blueberry cake and recipes abound.
Here is my recipe for Blueberry Cake.  It is easy, a very simple cake and you can use cranberries instead if you wish.

1/2 cup margarine                            2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar                                    1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs                                               1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup milk                                     2 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1 1/2 to 2 cups of blueberries (use a little of the flour to dust the blueberries)

Cream together margarine and sugar.  Add eggs and blend well.  Add vanilla.  Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.  Add to creamed mixture alternatively with milk. Then fold in the berries.  This can fit into an 8 inch square pan or a small tube pan like I used.  Bake about 45 minutes in a 375 oven.   
I have used oil instead of the margarine and almond milk instead of regular;  I tried it with less salt and sugar but found it a little bland.
The icing is also a basic buttercream version of icing sugar, real butter, a pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, a little milk; the proportions of sugar to butter is to your taste.  I think I used 2 cups of icing sugar and 1/2 cup of butter. Hubby likes it so I guess that's the main thing...smile.

No comments :