Sunday 15 June 2014

Remembering Chintz in My Happy Memory

Another Second Hand Store Find

You just never know what you will find when trolling the aisles of a second hand shop.  I am always alert to the odd little item that might be useful or pretty to add to my tiny collection.  Pictured above is one such item I found recently.  It is a little jam jar or possibly a sugar holder made by Royal Stafford of England.  I have looked through lots of Royal Stafford online trying to pin down the exact name of this pattern....no luck.  They produced hundreds of patterns throughout the decades.  The closest I came to finding this particular pattern was with a teacup and saucer set offered on ebay but the seller identified it only as Royal Stafford Pink Chintz.  And it is a very pretty pink chintz with what looks like four pansies painted on the top knob...so sweet.  I was pleased to find it is in mint condition with not a chip or crack.  I have no idea its worth but I paid $1.99.  I'm not sure what I will use it for but I just had to have it.  Enough said.
At one point in my life I was very fond of chintz and had many items, pillows, curtains, china featuring all kinds of patterns.  I also liked and wore skirts made by Laura Ashley that often were reminiscent of chintz with many lovely colourful, floral designs.  In fact a couple of those became pillow covers when I out wore them. I wore them despite the jokes about looking like you're matching your sofa.   I remember I kept a journal of patterns and colours that I found in magazines to research and sometimes add to my hoard.  All of these things are lost forever in reality, though they, like everything we experience, are able to live on in happy memory.  

No comments :