Tuesday 6 May 2014

Partially Passionate and Poppy Block

Young people are so often told to figure out what they are passionate about in order to plot their pathway to employment.  The problem with this is that in my experience so many young people could easily name all the things they were definitely not passionate about, but would draw a complete blank about the other. I empathized with this because I'm sure many of them would probably be like myself...someone who enjoys many things but nothing in a' heads above the others' way.  I joke that I am a jack of all the needlearts but a master of none. (Yes, I  know that is a geeky thing to say.)  I think I have a certain amount of creative energy in me, and all my life I've been trying to sort out exactly how to employ it.  You might say, if  I haven't figured that out by now, it's not going to happen.  But somehow, a part of me seems to still be striving to find my arty niche, as it were.  I wonder how many  people are like me...notes for a novel in the bottom desk drawer, partially finished water colours resting in a bedroom corner, ideas on napkins and in specially purchased scribblers ever hopeful the right pen or paper or wool or embroidery thread will make the difference between thought and fruition. 
I am not lamenting that state...in fact, I understand appreciation is as important as creativity and I enjoy an abundance of that.  I've come to love the process too of whatever it is I am making, be it a cake or a scarf.  Less emphasis on the finished product and more consciously enjoying the moments of planning and creating.... I believe this sentiment from Anotole France...
"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads."
I have the body, but lack the will to really, really buckle down and challenge myself.  Okay, I probably should have ended this with the quote...eeek, but you know what I mean.

Here is my block P which is also a very large one and I loved worked with the rosy/orangy colours in this...

Poppies are also a favourite of mine; anything that is so hardy and can withstand the cold is to be admired, right.

No comments :