Sunday 4 May 2014

Northern Flicker and No Book Blues

Just one more quote about books, this one by P.J. O'Rourke I came across...

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it."

I guess that's why you should keep War and Peace with a bookmark in it by your bed...that's a book I have never read, by the way.
 
Sorry about the fuzzy quality of the first photo but I wanted to show how at ease this Northern Flicker has become on the front lawn.  Usually they are very shy birds, but this one has become a regular visitor and is comfortable foraging with the robins now.  I love how the second photo shows that brilliant yellow stripe along his wing feathers.
On my walkabout today I saw the first snakes of the season.  Two brightly striped garter snakes slithered through the grass.  What I really noticed was the absence of any flying insects...not a mosquito, butterfly or bee yet.  Perhaps there has not been enough warmth in the air to draw them out. Even today it is cool and I needed my warm vest on.  I heard on the radio that even the real gardeners have not begun any garden digging yet...so I don't have to feel too badly I haven't.  I left any seeds that said on the package to plant right into the garden and they are still waiting. 
I don't have a good book or even a mediocre one to share with you.  I have tried to read about four books lately and couldn't stay with any of them.  Disappointing, as all are part of my compiled reading list which means they are award nominated or winners or library recommended. At one point in younger days, if I started a book I would feel compelled to finish it whether I liked it or not.  Not these days...just can't do that anymore.
But why can't I get 'into' a book these days.  I guess it is me and where my head is right now, a little unfocused!



 

No comments :