Monday 28 April 2014

Quilts Galore! Book and Chinese Coins

My quilt sandwich for Chinese Coins

This is sadly not a great photo of my attempt at another charm quilt.  By the way, a charm quilt simply means no two pieces used are the same.  Also some of  my favourite scraps did get repeated so I  guess this is a variation of a charm quilt.  One of my friends saw this and thought it really nice so it is a shame the photo doesn't capture the 'charm' of  it. I found my inspiration in a book published in 1990 called Quilts Galore! by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes.  I just love this book and it is one of the few I made a point of ordering so I could be sure to have it among my quilting resources. 

Here is the page of interest in Quilts Galore! The pattern is Chinese Coins which is a pieced design and a wonderful way to use up scraps of even small sizes.  In this book, the quilt is called Liberty Coins because it was pieced with Liberty of London fabrics.  They are attractively co-ordinated in the book but I did not have specially purchased and thereby, matching scraps for my project.  I did choose a similar colour theme and used browns and greens with the odd pop of the colour red.
I am recommending this book because it includes very clear instructions, large colour photos and template patterns of a wide variety of quilts, everything from crazy quilts to appliqued.  I like the way even a beginner quilter like myself can successfully use the patterns.

  

No comments :