Monday 17 February 2014

On the Lookout for Owls and Comfort Coffee Cake

Winter, it continues.
 These are the days though that when out and about the idea of home, our slippers, a cup of tea, glass of merlot, the latest episode of The Young and the Restless, whatever, call to us.  Inside is better.
 I just came in from a walk through the woods. I was bundled up wearing my fake fur hat that matches the coat I showed you, and I took Rex with me.  He loves running up the path and then full tilt back to greet me.  I was on a mission today.  I was looking for owls; there have been numerous owl sightings this winter all over our region.  We have many old trees on the property with just the type of knotted holes in them that I think would be owl heaven, but no luck.  I did see where squirrels have leaves filling one such hole so I imagine they are enjoying a snug winter home.

This is the season for comfort food for sure.  Here is a fruit cobbler/coffee cake I made last weekend.

Here is the recipe:
Cake
1/2 cup coconut oil(or butter)                                 Fruit Mixture
1/2 cup white sugar                                                 I use whatever fruit I have on hand, in this case I
1/4 cup brown sugar                                                used apricots, prunes, and blueberries.
2 eggs                                                                     
1cup sour cream
1 tsp almond flavouring                                          Topping
2 cups flour (I used half almond flour)                    2/3 cup chopped almonds
1 tsp baking powder                                                 2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda                                                      1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt                                                                 1/2 tsp cinnamon; a pinch of salt
                                                                                   3 tbsp coconut oil or butter
For the cake:
Beat butter and sugars, add eggs, almond flavouring and sour cream. Mix well.  Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and beat till well blended. Pour into a greased 9 x 9 square pan or a round 9 inch springform pan.
Spread the fruit mixture over the batter.
Topping: Mix together the flour, brown sugar and butter. Stir in the cinnamon and the almonds.
Sprinkle this crumb mixture on top of the fruit.
Bake in a 350 degrees oven about 35 - 40 minutes.  You can try the toothpick in it to see if it is cooked but this can be a bit deceiving with all the fruit.  I always err on the side of longer time.

I watched another episode of Vera last night; isn't that Brenda Blython wonderful?  It helped me finish up the shawl.  Now I  just have to decide about an edging.  I'm a little unsure about the shape of the thing in the end.  Seems to have a very deep v in the back.  Photo to follow.

No comments :