Tuesday 25 February 2014

Old Time Ice Tracks and Bad Goldfish Mommy

This is a photo I took when I was "kid-sitting" the other day; it is looking out my daughter's kitchen window. Her backyard faces a wide expanse of farmland so it is a peaceful, tranquil view most days.  It was pouring rain at the time which didn't last long and quickly turned to freezing rain and then snow with very low temperatures overnight.  The result of all that 'weather' is very slippery conditions.  Hubby found an old pair of tracks to attach to his boots; I think these are a forerunner of the fancy kinds you can buy today.
He reports that these are effective, old and simplistic though they may be!
 Goldfish Update
I must tell you about my sad goldfish for if a fish can't swim what is the point.  It seems I haven't been doing a good job of taking care of them.  In fact I have been feeding them completely wrong.  I understood you had to feed goldfish infrequently and be very careful about the amounts.  I'd read the major cause of goldfish death was overfeeding so I was feeding every three days.  I now know that doing this causes the fish to gorge themselves which in turn causes bloating and constipation.  That will fool up the air bladder which is essential in swimming properly.  I read an antidote was to cook green peas, remove the thin coating and feed them to the goldfish.  I did this and noted all three of the fish seemed to like the peas and ate them.  This morning when I checked, they were all swimming around normally and not a pea in sight.  Fingers crossed it worked.


No comments :