Saturday 7 December 2013

The Comfort of Food

My carrot soup...
It is the kind of day for comfort food and this is the kind of soup that qualifies.  I think I said before that you will not find any posh ingredients in my cupboards...no saffron, asiago cheeses, and just the usual spices.  Red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil is about as exotic as I get. That being said, I often wish I knew how to use  and incorporate more seasonings into my cooking. 
This soup is a favourite of mine to make because it is so easy; I usually boil 4 - 6 cups of chopped carrots, 1 chopped onion and a container of chicken broth together till the carrots are soft.  I blend the mixture in my ninja and season with a little salt and pepper.  This time I added a little cream to the mixture just before serving as well as a sprinkle of parsley.  If you have started with good, flavourful carrots, then the soup is sure to be tasty. 
It was dark today at 4:30; I have to make an effort to do any embroidering in the mornings when the natural light is brightest. That is a little hard for me as I like to do any household chores before I sit with my sewing...my stitching is my reward for when the work is done.  Is it like that for you?
I am making great headway with my granny squares; just finishing one more round on each and tucking in all the ends from the colour changes.  It is so colourful that I notice my mood brightens when I work on it. This is the first time I have used so many bright colours in one project. 

No comments :