Monday 2 December 2013

Special Santas

Here is a cross stitched Santa I made so long  ago I don't really know who made the pattern.  Unfortunately the red here is not nearly as vibrant as it is in reality.  This fellow joins a host of Santas each year that I group together in a small collection. 
 And here they are.  It is an interesting group.  Several of these date from hubby's youth many years ago and the rest represent a number of different decades of Santa offerings.  There are cloth, ceramic, porcelain, cardboard, and wooden Santas here plus several of unknown material! Imaginative ways to depict good old St.Nick abound and I always enjoy finding yet another.  Pinterest has a number of clever patterns showing how to fashion cake layers into a Santa.  I'm sure the kids would love that.  Can you imagine a Santa made out of marzipan and fondant?  I saw just that on display at a local restaurant several years ago; their chef happens to be a talented artist with food and he fashioned Santa in his sleigh and all the reindeer flying over a village.  To say it was remarkable is an understatement; I couldn't get the beauty of all the detail out of my mind. Even better was the fact that they were selling tickets on it with all money going to charity.
Santa...he's a lovable fellow no matter what form he takes.

No comments :