Saturday 28 December 2013

Feast of Treats

Christmas itself may be called into question

If carried so far it creates indigestion.

                   The Unwise Christmas, Bergengren



My grandfather, who didn't have an extra ounce of fat on him, used to always say just before a big Sunday dinner...eat to fill yourself but not to kill yourself.  Those words are rather wise in this age of  food addictions, overeating, obesity and all the resultant health problems.  However, I probably shouldn't beat myself up so much about the food I typically indulge in at this time of year.  In my defense, I can never refuse food offered when I am in someone's else's house for fear of offending whoever made it.  Consequently, I often eat food I do not want (need just doesn't enter the picture in our overfed world). This is an old habit originating in my childhood; we were always told to eat what was put in front of us and say thank you for it.
 My taste buds recognize salty foods with relish; I've never been as keen on sweets so therefore, have no problem passing up desserts, candies or cookies in my own home.  However, I'm wondering who came up with the idea of combining salt and sweet to make kettle corn which I do like.  Then someone had to invent salted caramel ice cream, again with that deadly good combination of salt and sweet that makes it so hard to resist even by folks like me.  Hubby has a sweet tooth and he likes to have a little something sweet to finish his evening meal; he is lucky though, because he is able to control his portions very precisely. For instance, if I give him a piece of pie that he thinks is too big, he will have me cut the extra off...now that's control.
In the photo above are some of the extra treats that appeared this Christmas.  Candy cane ice cream seems to be available here only at this time of year.  Marshmallow  Christmas trees and boxes of chocolates are pure indulgences of the tempting kind that signal the holidays.  I remind myself to relax and enjoy for I know I will soon have myself  back on track, yes, I will.

No comments :