Thursday 21 November 2013

New Gadgets and Nutritious Smoothies


I started enjoying smoothie type concoctions last year.  I realized how many nutrients could be packed into one small glass and how filling it could feel.  The mixture above is my favourite...spinach, walnuts, blueberries, strawberries and a few frozen grapes for sweetness.  I sometimes add agave syrup if I don't have grapes.  I found the agave syrup at Costco and a little of it goes a long way. I sometimes add a banana, or a carrot, oranges, an apple-really whatever I have available. I usually make a batch and freeze single servings. Unfortunately I don't always feel like eating something like this.  Sometimes it has to be bacon and eggs to satisfy but that's okay sometimes too.
I've been making my smoothies in the old Oster blender; it works still though about a decade old, just takes a long time to get through a batch and it had a hard time tackling anything frozen so things had to be fresh or thawed.  Hubby decided we should have a new one, and what about the most powerful while we are at it.  Hence the Ninja professional model now sitting proudly on my kitchen counter and looking ultra modern in my rather dated kitchen.  It has multiple functions, can quickly dispatch a large amount of food in nanoseconds and even has a special lock for securing its 'feet' to the counter so it won't move about while doing it's business.  However, the blades look somewhat lethal so I'm going to have to be so careful with the handling and cleaning...
Cheers!

No comments :